Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day...something

Had my second meeting yesterday, came out with a more concrete task for next week. I'm working with SQL, which once again makes me feel guilty for being less than enthusiastic about my Databases and Information Systems I class in second year. Working with remote data is confusingly scary at first, but I definitely appreciate the way this programme is pushing me to learn at a quicker rate.

Good resources for any type of self-guided research:
- Google: The power of Google saved my ass during my search engine implementation project, as well as a number of (initially) impossible assignments. There are definitely techniques to searching, but practice makes perfect. Don't just look at the first page of results!
- Forums: Again found via Google, hopefully there's a thread of more learned users who are discussing the exact same problem you're stuck on. Hooray for the web!
- Other people: Simply by discussing and/or your problem out loud, details/solutions you hadn't though of before may suddenly occur to you, even if your listeners cannot offer any enlightenment. Seek out classmates, friends, demonstrators, lecturers and any other people related to the field. With the ubiquity of social networks enforcing the concept of six degrees of separation, there's no excuse for not being able to find a suitable person to talk to.


CSI ant farm update: at first we didn't see any so we were sad, but they seem to move to different locations throughout the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment