Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 1 (of actual work)

Welcome to my blog! I'm a UCD student and ODCSSS 2010 research intern. Here, I'll be documenting my experience, with a bonus jumble of resource links and updates on my progress. I'm not very good at writing without being sarcastic/using cryptic references, but hopefully I'll get better at writing like a normal person!

Yesterday was the kickoff event for ODCSSS (Online Dublin Computer Science Summer School) 2010. All of the interns met in the Golden Harp room in the Guinness Storehouse. There were a number of presentations from both industry people - NDRC and Microsoft, who talked about cloud computing technology and Azure - and academia, with tea and coffee and a posh lunch in between.
At the end of the day, we took a self-guided tour and had a free pint in the Gravity Bar (fyi, Guinness is disgusting and I couldn't finish mine...). I feel like I could have introduced myself to more people, but I felt that I took a lot from the talks. See the rest of my photos in my Facebook album (if you don't have Facebook/aren't my friend...too bad!!).


the Golden Harp room



Today we moved into our workspaces...interns in UCD are based in either the fourth-year lab or in UCD CASL. I will be working in the lab, since it's closer to CLARITY, where my supervisors/mentors are based. I'm lucky to be working with such dedicated yet laid-back and understanding people...basically I don't have the strict time schedule that I panicked about imagined. There's also a good atmosphere with all of us in the lab.


my space


I got a keycard and a key! I'm a pro~


Things I did today:
+ Saw a squirrel playing (?) on the tree right outside the window
+ Tried out all of the games available on Ubuntu
+ Visited CLARITY
~ Briefly read through the Twitter4J library (which I'll be using)
- Just gave up fighting the Ubuntu terminal over ssh

No comments:

Post a Comment